Sunday, March 13, 2011

Beginnings...

So I'm Hollywood Jackson. This blog is going to hopefully become my outlet for writing and cataloguing the films I watch, the observations I make about our society and the things that interest me in my life. Why the name Hollywood Jackson? Well,
Hollywood is one of my passion's in life. This is a two sided affair. First, one of my earliest memories are associated with films. I remember seeing a certain blockbuster as my first film and coming out completely amazed. My love for films stretched throughout my life and I've always watched as many films as I could and tried to discuss them as well as might be expected. Then a series of amazing things happened to me. Cruising through life I happened to apply to complete my degree at USC. To my utter surprise I got accepted and fortunately had the ability to attend. While there I decided to try a film class to see how they were and maybe extend my knowledge of film. Then I chose to pursue a second degree from USC film school. The USC school of Cinematic Arts is the most prestigious film school in the world and now I could not only get a degree, I could expound on my knowledge and fulfill a passion in life. How lucky could I be?
While at film school I made a few choices that shaped how I feel about film. While there I consciously chose to follow a few well known professors and accumulate as many as their classes as I could. Dr. Drew Casper and Dr. Todd Boyd were and are very influential in how I view films. Casper's teachings on Modernism and Post-Modernism in film as well as Boyd's instruction on race and gender in film resonate with me to this day. Not a film goes by without me hearing what they taught. Another instructor that meant a lot to me was the great cinematographer William Fraker. In fact that particular class at USC meant alot to me in that I met so many people in that class that mean a lot to me not only personally but in regards to film.
So how do I look at films?  Well first and foremost I understand wholeheartedly that no matter how poor a film is or what I or anyone may think of it, many hard-working and creative people put blood sweat and tears into seeing it made.  Rarely will I disparage a film as a whole unless I can do it in a way that uses intelligent argument to devalue a work.   Next, I will admit I lean towards films made prior to the Postmodern period of film (prior to 1977).  I love films made now and some of my all time favorites stem from this time.  If a film is deemed a classic that means it not only is a quality film but it has stood the test of time and remains as such.  Now after that within the film itself I look first towards story and second to acting.  These are the two most basic reasons we watch films.  Storytelling and viewing others, particularly stars. Then I try to get into production values from the film, particularly the cinematography, the sound, editing and the overall directing job.  Finally if the film can somehow make a commentary on our society or an existing issue within society I while try to comment on that.
The second side to the Hollywood coin is over time I have come to realize how important Hollywood has become to our society and our contemporary world.  It is an all pervasive entity.  It is a compelling idea and thought to me.  I must add that I am also a history major.  As such, I have tried to learn all that I can about the history of Hollywood and popular culture here in America.  I have learned about the historical landmarks here in Hollywood, from the various things you may have seen in films to those places and points of interest that are part of the foundation of this town.  Also, I live here and LOVE living here.  So this makes up the Hollywood part of Hollywood Jackson.
As for the Jackson, well not many people know this about me but my given name isn't Jack.  Also, I have had various friends, close friends who call me Jackson.  So the Jackson identifies me.  And who am I?  Imagine the ideal of the California lifestyle?  The beach blonde surfer guy, the guy who is in great shape, the kid that won't grow up, the boy who loves baseball and soccer.  If you could draw a picture of a guy that epitomizes every aspect of Southern California you couldn't do better than if you were to use my picture.  So occasionally I will write about those aspects of my life that interest me there.  Soccer and baseball, surfing, blonde girls, living in SoCal and anything else that sparks an interest.  Eventually I will start blogs for those things but for now you might read them here.  If you have read this far then I welcome you and I hope you enjoy reading my work.  I look forward to your comments and input though negativity will be deleted.  Negativity destroys the creative process and I won't tolerate it on my blog.  Again, welcome and lets get started!

2 comments:

  1. Jack you have such a great talent for writing. You really have a knack to grab the reader and make them want to read more. I am new to this site and to tell you the truth I did not start at the beginning. I read your latest blog first. You are consistent in your writing. I look forward to reading more by you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Elisa, your comment means so very much to me. I constantly question myself and my writing falls under that scrutiny. So to hear kind words of praise makes my day. Thanks again and I hope to put work up that you like!

    ReplyDelete