Wednesday, June 22, 2011

X-Men First Class (Vaughn, 2011)

I recently went to see X-Men First Class (Matthew Vaughn, 2011) at the recommendation of two people I trust when it comes to filmgoing advice. One described the film as "really good, true popcorn fare and" and the other compared it favorably to Star Wars Episode 1 (Lucas, 1999). As to the first description, true the film was a great popcorn flick. Fun and engaging, not overly long and bloated and with some great action sequences, cool f/x and hot actresses. What more does a guy want? As for the comparison to SWE1, I realize as I write that all depends on your take of that film. I remember being ridiculously psyched to see it, liking it immensely but then as time has passed I now wish I could bludgeon my head with a pick axe every time I see young Anakin (Jake Scott) or Jar Jar Binks (does it matter). So where does that leave me with X-Men First Class? Well if you guessed completely ambivalent, you wouldn't be far off.
This feeling of ambivalence raised an interesting question in my mind. First, why such a non emotive, uncaring response? I have to believe it is the interminable inundation (say that three times fast) Hollywood is forcing us to endure in regards to comic book films. Every week it seems we have another being released, and for every The Dark Knight (Nolan, 2008) there are endless films such as Daredevil (Johnson, 2003). But that's Hollywood at it's essence. There truly are very few creative minds it seems in the history of Hollywood. The rest has been an endless parade of copycatting. I think this is why 1963-1976 is my favorite period of filmmaking because of how damned original and good everything was. But I digress. What I really feel saps these films and makes them utterly forgettable (maybe non memorable is better) is a lack of story. Quickly, without looking it up. What was the basic plot to the first X-Men (Singer, 2000)? And that's what is happening with so many of these movies. You can't remember them immediately after seeing them. Back to this years X-Men, there are some good and bad things as with all films and the bad starts with it's narrative.
The narrative to the film is entirely forced. Now, I do not read the comic book so I am unaware if I might be off base in this analysis. The writers may have been attempting to stay true to the comics for the fans. The forcing of the emergence of the mutants coinciding with one of our most dangerous times our country has ever faced (Cuban missile crisis) and then further shifting the war analogy to us versus them only serves to infuriate me. To me it is much the same as when the media does what it will in an attempt to re-write and alter history. That is dangerous and in films it is poor story telling. To me it is cookie cutter and shows an unwillingness to think. This diluted and poor story can also be seen in the continual cutting back and forth between locations, seemingly shifting the story across the globe. Which in fact as I think about wasn't entirely possible in 1961, at least not at the break neck speed of today. The final thing that bothered me was the use of CGI. Does every film released today have to be overrun with CGI? And can they not tell that it doesn't look real?
Now, I know many people worked very hard on this film and I do not want to impugn their work. I truly feel it is symptomatic of the moviemaking culture rather than individual ability. Most people I know in the film industry love classics, great stories and want to be able to make great films. It is a symptom of Hollywood to make what is going to pack the theaters. At the same time, there is a great amount of good in this film.
To me, the most impressive thing within the film is the casting of McAvoy, Fassbender and Bacon and then their subsequent portrayals. Can an actor be anymore well respected than to have party game named after him (Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon)? That speaks to me of longevity and an ability to act and Bacon is an actor that has never seemingly gotten his due. And his performance as Klaus Schmidt is great. He has that ability to pull of smarmy and hated all while keeping you invested in him as a performer. Meaning you hate but still like him.
There is no hating with the other two. James McAvoy is the glue to this film. His portrayal of Charles Xavier is witty and sharp, full of humor and spirit. To play a character already infused with the essence of another great actor (Stewart) and still be able to not only hold your own but do an incredible job speaks volumes. It is Fassbender though who just mesmerizes audiences. His intensity and the fire he brings to the role of Erik is magnetic. There is one scene in particular between the two, as they sit and play chess discussing the oncoming war between mutants and humans and the roles they must play. This scene is riveting and spectacular, so intense and it says so much about the abilities of these two fine actors. And it is a simple scene. No CGI, no explosions or f/x. Just two actors working.
Another thing not to be questioned is the ability of Matthew Vaughn as a director. I have now seen three of his pictures (Kick Ass and Layer Cake) and he impresses in each one. Of particular note is his deft handling of the montage seen as the young mutants train to fight. Compare this to the montage sequence David O. Russell chose to use in 2010's The Fighter. Actually don't, there is none.
Bottom line, go see X-Men First Class. It is a good popcorn flick just don't expect to remember what the hell happened in the film come September.

No comments:

Post a Comment