Friday, January 13, 2012

LIMITLESS (Neil Burger, Universal, 2011)

When I see previews for certain films I immediately pre-judge those films on whether or not I want to see it. And more times than not I am completely justified in my choice when I eventually see the film on cable or DVD. LIMITLESS (Neil Burger, Universal, 2011) is a great example of this. After watching the preview I immediately was struck with the thought that this film was a vehicle for Bradley Cooper, a way to establish his ability to carry a film. The concept looked plausible enough but nothing said to me that I should see this film immediately. And the fact that Robert DeNiro was in the film, based on his track record over the last twenty years, definitely made me want to pass.

So what did I miss out on by passing on it at the theaters? A story with some major plot holes. One with no character development, particularly for its protagonist. Nor was their motivation for the characters actions besides the obvious. I may be mistaken but wasn't there a plot line involving death from continued use of the drug NZT? What about Lindy (Abbie Cornish) returning to Eddie (Bradley Cooper)? Completely against the use of the drug she returns to his side by the end of the film, no questions asked? And what of the fact that ALL drugs, regardless, require an ever increasing usage to maintain there potency? As I am watching a film if I am asking myself questions about the narrative it is obviously not a very effective story.

The film is rather effective as a vehicle for the rising stature of Bradley Cooper. As audiences we have delighted in his portrayals of the boorish Zack in WEDDING CRASHERS and again as Phil in THE HANGOVER. But those are comedic roles and it remains to be seen if Cooper can truly carry a film, particularly an action thriller. LIMITLESS is a good start for him.

And in the end LIMITLESS is exactly what it sets about being, a prototypical postmodern film. Weak on story, a vehicle used to further a stars career, a film ultimately concerned only with the bottom line. There are some nice visual effects and the picture looks slick and not overly stylized. Ultimately the film is like so many others of this period, forgettable about a half hour out of the theater. Which if you remember, I saved myself the time on! Keep trusting my instincts I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment