Sunday, February 26, 2012

2012 Academy Award Picks

2012 Academy Awards Picks

Original Song - Man or Muppet, The Muppets

Original Score - The Artist

Sound Editing - War Horse

Sound Mixing - War Horse

Film Editing - The Artist

Costume Design - Hugo

Visual F/X - Planet of the Apes

Live Action Short - Raju

Animated Short - The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

Adapted Screenplay - John Logan, Hugo

Original Screenplay - Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris

Art Direction - Hugo

Makeup - The Iron Lady

Cinematography - The Tree of Life

Animated Feature - Rango

Foreign Language Film - A Separation, Iran

Documentary Short - Saving Face

Documentary Feature - Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory

Supporting Actress - Octavia Spencer, The Help

Supporting Actor - Christopher Plummer, Beginners

Director - Martin Scorsese, Hugo

Actress - Viola Davis, The Help

Actor - Jean Dujardin, The Artist

Best Picture - The Artist

I've seen almost all of the films that garnered serious nominations. I had to take someone's word on War Horse, can't take credit there. The easiest pick was for Cinematography as the job that Emmanuel Lubezki accomplished was utterly amazing. Second easiest was Woody Allen for Midnight In Paris, Best Original Screenplay. Just a great story. I am really rooting for The Help's two fine actresses to win, they deserve it. The hardest choice was for Best Actor and Best Director. Clooney/Dujardin, I just couldn't choose. In the end I felt that The Artist was a better film and the role was more difficult. As for Director, I can see them giving Scorsese due here, he tackled technology and made it shine. Plus he was slighted several times before and I never felt The Departed was a deserving win for him. Hugo is.

Since I saw it The Artist was my choice for Best Picture. To be able to capture a bygone era perfectly was just amazing. But then I saw Hugo and became torn. I could see it going either way, but in the end pulling off a black and white, silent film is just magnificent. It's subject matter and narrative may be too light for many critics but that doesn't mean it can't be Best Picture. Now let's see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment