Tuesday, May 29, 2012

FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS (Will Gluck, Sony, 2011)

Romantic comedies are not a genre that I usually choose to watch. They are formulaic, predictable and usually use tired language all of which mostly makes we want to hit myself in the head with a hammer. So I ask myself if this is such a huge genre, what would make it work for me? And my quick answer would be two likable stars playing likable characters. A plot that doesn't border on unbelievably impossible, maybe dialogue that doesn't scream fifty year old man writing for his angst ridden and horribly disapproving teenagers approval. Ultimately a romantic comedy has to make you feel good about finding someone to love and that's the number one reason people watch romantic comedies right? To feel better about love. One other thing about romantic comedies before I reveal what I watched last night. They have a strange way of creeping up on me. What I mean is this. When I expect the least from a film, when I watch the trailers and tell others I'd rather hang dry wall then see that film, when I roll my eyes upon hearing others swoon over said film, somehow every now and then something jumps up and grabs me and I realize I like the film. Such is the case with FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS (Will Gluck, Sony, 2011). I wanted to hate this film. I wanted to deride the writing and it's choice of stars. I wanted to write scathing words telling everyone how smart I was and how anyone who would watch such drivel has to be utterly insane. But you know what? I really liked this film. Let's go back to what makes a romantic comedy work for me. For me it is always, always the films stars and the characters they portray. FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS stars Justin Timberlake as Dylan Harper and Mila Kunis as Jamie Rellis. I like both already and they just give everything they've got in this film. Dylan and Jamie are likable and real. Even though you see them hurtling towards each other at light speed, resisting it with all they are, you want them to be together. They have good chemistry and they fit together. And both JT and Mila provide daring portrayals, each allowing the camera to gaze seductively upon their equally hot bodies. What's next on my checklist? Well, the narrative isn't utterly out of the realm of possibility (flash mob ridiculousness aside). I really like the way the film crafts the dichotomy between New York and Los Angeles. Our two greatest cities (America) are as diametrically opposed as fire and ice, yet this narrative brings them together and quite intelligently and with a deft touch. Sure they use stereotypes to some extent but what film doesn't? The films writing is also done rather well. It starts fresh and stays that way. In fact their is some rather comedic moments. When Jamie's mother Loma (Patricia Clarkson) brazenly demands of Dylan "so my daughter is just a slam piece?" I almost cried. And for that matter, anything Woody Harrelson did or said as Tommy, the gay sports editor at GQ was priceless, giving us a wizened and hardened version of Woody Boyd, albeit gay and in New York. FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS is a great little film. Not overly ambitious and sincere in approach, it even proves an argument I have been making for years. I defy ANYONE to sleep with someone five times EXCLUSIVELY and not lose that FWB status. Try it, you'll end up in a relationship! This film works for me and it resolves that ultimate of dilemmas, it makes you feel good about love. It did for me, which is why it worked so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment