Friday, October 19, 2012

THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (Walter Selles, Focus Features, 2004)

It is not often that a film is good enough or powerful enough to enable you to feel the entire array of human emotion as well as inspiring the viewer to want to be a better person and to accomplish more in life. THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (Walter Selles, Focus Features, 2004) is just such a film; powerful, emotional and inspirational. It definitely is one of those films I wished I had watched sooner but still I am honored to have seen it when I did. The film is absolutely beautiful. The cinematography is spectacular with such an array of the beauty of South America as to be breathtaking. The picturesque shots of the Andes, the South American countryside and the different countries accompany our characters along their journey. We are on the journey with the two protagonists through this visual feast. Also, along the way we see numerous black and white stills, particularly of the indigenous people's of the country. This creates a striking juxtaposition to the panoramic beauty of the country. We see the people as part of the land but are left with the feeling they are being ripped from it. Even so it is one spectacular shot that I will remember most vividly. As Ernesto (Gael Garcia Bernal) and Alberto (Rafael de la Serna) are river bound to the leper colony of San Pablo a shot is crafted wrapping itself around the boat they are on. As the camera moves around the boat the sun slowly sets as the camera moves. Obviously some effects were added but a stunning shot was created, one which made me sit up and immediately take note. And for me this film became a personal viewing experience because of moments like the one I just described but also due to the thematic content the film provided me as an individual. The film is thought provoking to say the least. I want to read more about Che Guevara, know truly what kind of man he was. This film provides a glimpse into a journey that transformed him but it leaves me wanting more. At the same time the film is motivational to me. I question myself and wonder what I have done with my life, have I lived it fully and/or accomplished all that I can? Our protagonists rode a beat up motorcycle halfway up the South American continent and walked and hitched the rest, all with little or no money and relying on the generosity and kindness of strangers. There is nothing that cannot be accomplished if desire resides in your heart and mind. Finally the film provides real emotion. Not forced, not manipulated. There are moments of laughter, sadness and shock and revelation. All natural. If anything this film provides impetus to be more in life and can any film want to achieve more than that? I think not and I truly believe I am a better person for having seen this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment