Sunday, December 9, 2012

THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE (Peter Yates, Paramount, 1973)

Sometimes a movie is just a good damn time. You watch it and it has a great story, some cool characters and in the case of someone like myself great technical work or otherwise noticeable merit that makes the film stand out. I have heard many good things about THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE (Peter Yates, Paramount, 1973) the last several years particularly in comparison to a film like THE TOWN (Ben Affleck, Warner Bros., 2010). After watching the former I now know Ben Affleck has to be a serious fan of the film. The similarities are eerie. The film also embodies characteristics of films from that period, it has some really great acting by some amazing character actors and then there is Robert Mitchum. Like I said, just a good damn time. I have not seen much of Mitchum's work. I know he is considered a great star but I haven't seen much of his work. Watching him as Eddie Coyle is a revelation and I intend to watch more Mitchum stuff in the near future. Playing the older washed up criminal, Mitchum is still the coolest guy in the room. He reminds me of an older Steve McQueen, just the coolest guy. He is one of those actors that gives you the vibe that you could definitely hang out with this guy and have a great time, if not get into lots of trouble. And his voice could melt butter it's so smooth. Not as smooth around the edges as Mitchum but still holding their own is an assortment of character actors all doing good work. The three I recognized most readily were playing Dillon (Peter Boyle), Foley (Richard Jordan) and Scalise (Alex Rocco). All three were just perfect casting. All three are the types that you know you've seen time and again you just can't remember where. With Boyle and Rocco it was easy. You had Frankenstein and Moe Green. But I had to look up Jordan to realize he had been in THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER (John McTiernan, Paramount, 1990). Drove me crazy until I did. What I liked most about the film is something that happens occasionally. I tend to watch more older films than most and every now and them I will see a film in which a contemporary film is a complete homage to the previous film. I saw THE TOWN throughout this film. Elements of the bank robbery (masks and one guy aggressively attacking a bank worker), making the bank manager walk blindfolded to the water, the scene at the hockey game (changed to a Red Sox game) and the Boston criminal underworld with its hierarchy and relationships to the FBI (uncle in this film, like uncle Sam?). Ben Affleck has to be a devoted admirer of EDDIE COYLE, there are too many fingerprints all over his film. But that's great to know though as it proves there are still directors working in Hollywood today who have seen old films and know just how to make their films the right part homage and the right part their own. I really enjoyed this film and highly recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment