Saturday, February 16, 2013

LES MISERABLES (Tom Hooper, Universal, 2012)

This is going to come off as a little strange at the very least. As a whole LES MISERABLES (Tom Hooper, Universal, 2012) is a fantastic film. The literary source is obviously one of our greatest novels. The performances by the entire cast is first rate. Technically the film is wonderful and the direction pulled together by Tom Hooper is magnificent. BUT, I can't say that I liked the film all that much. Standing back from it something just doesn't sit well with my sense of the film. I didn't care for the adaptation; being from the celebrated stage play was patently obvious but rather than resolve anything for me it created a disjointed film. I just never fully connected with what I was watching and that kinda bums me out. Watching the film three specific areas stood out for me. First, the sound design for the entire film. Incredible. Each area was done exceedingly well. If there was an Oscar for Sound Department, this film would win. The score was sublime, naturally. The singing of the entire cast was good, even though Javert (Russell Crowe) often sounded like Christoher Nolan was trying to make him sound like Christian Bale in THE DARK KNIGHT (Nolan, Warner Bros., 2008). But what I really noticed, what blew me away was the sound mixing and here the film better win the Oscar. Song after song was layered perfectly. Voices blended together with sound and music to create a masterpiece. Overall a brilliant effort. Next the visuals to the film. Here again some really great work was done. I noticed the art direction right away but slowly realized the entire production design was great. The costumes were good but I really felt the job done by the makeup team was spectacular. The film was incredibly stylized and the work done in these areas heightened these aspects. The film is visually stunning and there are even hidden moments of cinematography that hint to German Expressionism and y'all know I absolutely love that. Almost as much as I love Anne Hathaway. I don't care if she is a prostitute in the streets, selling teeth and hair for francs that woman is GORGEOUS! When Fantine sings I DREAMED A DREAM, the emotional weight is overwhelming. Showing emotion of that level yet maintaining her vocals, what can I say, I thought Hathaway was great. The entire cast was good but really it came down to moments for each. As Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman) singing Valjean's Soliloquy or any moment with the Thenardiers (Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter). All good. But the best, to me, was Eddie Redmayne as Marius. He was incredible every time he was on screen. If the film does anything it definitely sparked my desire to re-read the Hugo novel once again. My first true classic that I read as a child, I look forward to re-reading one of my all time favorite stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment