Monday, October 24, 2011

THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL (Justin Chadwick, 2008)

I pride myself on never saying bad or negative things when it comes to talking about films (well, except for studio releases that offend my sensibility). Too many people put hard work and effort into the making of a film, for me to sit back and disparage their work is criminal. Now, besides being a film major from USC, I have a second degree in history. And one thing I learned as history major was to research and get my facts straight before writing anything. So when I watch a film like THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL (Justin Chadwick, 2008) it is often hard for me to stay ambivalent when it comes to watching the film. Cinematically the film really doesn't stand out as noteworthy, the acting is good but you wouldn't expect anything less from a stellar cast. So your left judging the narrative, and although the film is based upon a historical fiction that was wildly popular, it is hard, so hard not to rant about the film.

When all is said and done, the film is basically a historical fiction. Historically it complete garbage, but for entertainment purposes, it works. And if it sparks an interest in historical matters relating to the Tudor dynasty, and people actually do a little REAL research on the actual historical evidence, than this film is marvelous. The problem lies in that most are too lazy to do real research, most will Wiki the topic or, my god, take this film at value for historic merit. And to me, this is dangerous. This lack of effort on the part of audiences takes historic weight away from the events as they really occurred, and this is a crime.

Ultimately though, this is a film meant to entertain. And this it does. The performances by the entire cast are really good. Henry VIII (Eric Bana) is sublimely portrayed and to say Mary (Scarlett Johannson) is amazing never gives her justice. The true star though is Anne (Natalie Portman), our reigning Best Actress. She portrays Anne with guile and charm, a tenderness and frailty that belies her ability. She truly is one of the best actresses working today.

I did find one contemporary comparison and that would be that court resembles, to me, the power structures that plague our country today. Full of people that do not care about others, continually do everything possible to get ahead regardless of whom they hurt or destroy and connive and backstabbing and climb their way to the very top. I guess one could say it is human nature. Decent film, just please go actually read up on the Tudors.

1 comment: