Wednesday, October 5, 2011

PAPILLON (Franklin Schaffner, Columbia, 1973)

I often watch and write about classic films because to me they are a passion. Like a good book, films that stand the test of time can be digested again and again, always with the hopes of discovering something new. I like to write about them because I have this crazy notion that my eternally younger friends may see something I write and in turn it would spark an interest for them. Some classics are automatic inclusions to to any list of must see films and should be watched by all. Others, like PAPILLON (Franklin Schaffner, Columbia, 1973) are only for the most die hard of cinephiles.

I am not sure why I chose to watch this film. Often I receive recommendations and many times I read books on film which sparks an interest for me to watch a film. I don't remember why I was interested in watching PAPILLON other than Steve McQueen. McQueen is the quintessentially cool actor. When it comes to acting though I feel he often gets disregarded as more of a star. In the title role for this film, McQueen shines. He gives an amazing performance as the indefatigable Papillon and his performance carries one of the themes of the film, that of a human spirit which cannot be broken or defeated. I know McQueen struggled early on in his career, many doubting his ability as an actor and this role reminds me of his struggle. When he shouts "you bastards, I'm still here", I can almost envision him growling at a producer or director.

McQueen also establishes a great rapport with his co-star Dustin Hoffman. What a great pairing of the two for this film. Unlike McQueen, Hoffman has long been considered a great actor, not just a star. Again unlike McQueen, I don't think Hoffman has ever been given any kudos for being "cool". So the dichotomy between the two works, and they make a great film duo within the narrative.

If I have a problem with the film it is with the narrative. There are many dull moments in the film, and it really stretches about a half hour too long. There are entire sections with which I was left wondering why what I had just seen was in the film at all. The entire sequence with the natives in Honduras is a good example. The strength of the narrative lies in it's condemnation of an antiquated penal system, one that was basically a death sentence to all those sent to Devil's Island.

One final moment sticks out to me personally and raises a great question. In the middle of one of Papillon's stints in solitary confinement he of course starts to hallucinate. He imagines he is back in France and he is facing is judge and jury again. He demands of them that he is innocent and the judge agrees. But the judge goes on to say that he is guilty of a crime, the crime of wasting one's life! Realizing his crime, Papillon turns away and returns to the reality of his cell. This is a powerful statement and one that applies to me personally. The time given to us is short, and we are not promised anything. Do with your time what you will, just make it count. When all is said and done, this is what I will take away from PAPILLON.

No comments:

Post a Comment