Sunday, November 6, 2011

CASABLANCA (Michael Curtiz, Warner Bros., 1942)

There is nothing I can write or say about CASABLANCA (Michael Curtiz, Warner Bros., 1942) that has not been endlessly done before. It is one of the best films ever made, it is critically acclaimed and universally loved. It's stars, story, songs, lines and essence have become iconic in our society and there are very few who haven't seen it. So after seeing it yet again the other day at a wonderful double feature at the New Beverly, I am just gonna write down some of the things I love best about the film.

I love Ingrid Bergman. She defines what a movie star was and should be. Simply beautiful and exceedingly elegant, her role as Ilsa Lund is understated and performed with passion. I defy anyone to watch her and not fall in love with her. The cinematography by Arthur Edeson in this film quite simply accentuates her in every possible way. When I watch this film I often find myself lost when she is on the screen.

I love Humphrey Bogart as Rick. Never a huge fan of Bogie, over the years I have come to appreciate the tremendous work our most popular actor displayed for us. Role after role becomes iconic with him. In CASABLANCA he defines the ideals of the American male during the war years. Full of stoicism and self sacrifice for the greater good, Rick sets a standard for all of us to aspire to.

I love Rick's Americain Cafe. What a remarkable place. As I watched yesterday I was struck by the thought of having a nightclub where dress was required. Dinner jackets and gowns, civility oozing out of every crevice in the establishment. Full of European taste and sensibility. I would be a regular at Rick's.

I love the writing and the dialogue. Watch the film again, maybe for the 10th or 23rd time. Catch things you have never heard before, laugh at lines and realize comedy exists where you hadn't previously realized. These lines have become iconic, known universally. Some are so big they are misquoted more than stated correctly. "Play it once Sam, for old times sake". Play it Sam. Play As Time Goes By".

I love As Time Goes By. The piano, the melody; it takes me to the era, to the time. It takes me to Rick's. It's haunting and romantic and can make you love and feel sad all at the same time.

I love the stellar cast. I love the fact that as a cinephile I know that Claude Rains (Capt. Renault) was also the villain in another personal favorite, NOTORIOUS (Alfred Hitchcock, RKO, 1946). Or that Conrad Veidt (Maj. Strasser) was the sleepwalker Cesare in that classic of German Expressionism, THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI (Robert Weine, Goldwyn, 1919). Or that Peter Lorre (Ugarte) is creepy and fantastic every single time I see him in a film.

I especially love that there are moments in this film, no matter when I see it, that give me chills. The aforementioned scene when Ilsa directs Sam to play As Time Goes By. The entire airport sequence at the end of the film. Or when Viktor Laszlo (Paul Henried) directs the band at Rick's to play La Marseillaise and the entire club sings along (well, except the Nazis).

I will watch CASABLANCA anytime, anywhere. I have seen it at least twenty times and hope to see it another thirty. It is definitely on my short list of top ten films EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment