Wednesday, November 9, 2011

THE PINK PANTHER (Blake Edwards, United Artists, 1964)

Through the magic of new technologies such as DVR's and brilliant stations such as TCM I have the great fortune to be able to see films like THE PINK PANTHER (Blake Edwards, United Artists, 1964). And while this is really cool, for me it can be somewhat problematic in that I will watch it over and again, and soon I have to force myself to delete it off my DVR. I watched this film four times before deleting it and if I hadn't deleted it how many other times I'd have watched, I don't know.

I am also going to begin trying something new for my blog. I've realized that with many of the classic films that I watch, two things strike me. One, many people today haven't seen the film, never heard of the film or just couldn't care any less about the films I love. The other realization is that many of these films have been written about or discussed endlessly. So for films like THE PINK PANTHER, ones I've seen countless times, I'm going to just write less formally, and focus on the things I truly love in that film. Obviously the more I write, the more beloved a film is to me. And maybe my musings will spur others to watch. So what do I love about this film....

Let's start at the beginning. I love the title sequence. Animated, we get two wonderful things. The Pink Panther character which everyone knows and loves and we get the great score from Henry Mancini. Both have become iconic and the music particularly is just contagious. It's been rattling around inside my head for two weeks now, but since I love it so much, not one bit of that matters to me.

Let me not forget Meglio Stasera (It Had To Be Tonight). I love this song. Placed throughout the film, particularly as Sir Charles (David Niven) chases Princess Dala (Claudia Cardinale), it is catchy and romantic at the same time. But what really sends the song over the top is the performance of the song in the middle of the film. Performed by Fran Jeffries, she is sultry and seductive and adds the spice to the number. But watch the film. During this sequence just keep your eyes on Clouseau (Peter Sellers). The man is amazing. You will be dying from laughter as he just destroys it. Him dancing, with a seriousness that just screams comical.

And here is the film and franchise all in one man, Peter Sellers. The franchise has become so universally loved that many don't realize the Clouseau character is not the main character in these films until the later films. It is because Sellers absolutely STEALS every scene he is in.

The bedroom scene. Ridiculous. As Simone (Capucine) struggles valiantly to keep Jacques and his amorous advances at bay, the comedy just flows. Jacques with the blanket, the sleeping pills, the Stradivarius, Simone's cold feet, Jacques with the milk. All of it endless comedy and all done so simply; one set, actors who can act, no special effects and comedy that is pure and funny, no toilet humor or vulgarity. And the filmmakers make use of sound and visual design brilliantly. As Jacques gets the sleeping pills all we hear if the offscreen sound of pills spilling on the floor and then his feet crunching them. Just amazing, and funny as hell!

What about the driving sequence in the town square? How many times has this sequence been emulated, even outright copied? When Sir Charles and George (Robert Wagner) stop in the middle of the square, both in gorilla suits and discuss what to do, look at the older Italian gentleman. Just priceless. And let's not forget the scene right before at the costume party, where Jacques (in full armor, visor down) starts a fireworks show, all the while shouting "Tucker, Tucker"!

Speaking of Sir Charles and George Lytton, what a pair of remarkably cast actors. Sir David Niven and Robert Wagner epitomize early 60's suave and debonair men. Niven has upper crust charm just oozing from his pores and Wagner is Hollywood drop dead handsome. And what of their counterparts Capucine and Claudia Cardinale. Both just beautiful and elegant, the four take us back to a more glamorous era in Hollywood, when stars could be idolized for their onscreen work, not "being just like us".

This brings me to an interesting thought I had while watching the film. This film was released pre sexual revolution and it can easily be seen as a portent of things to come. Capucine kisses three different men in this film yet is a married woman. The Lytton boys think nothing of sexual conquests and Princess Dala is teased by Sir Charles as being "the Virgin Queen", an Elizabethean taunt. Not to mention the portrayal of Clouseau as the only forthright member of working class society, a man constantly frustrated sexually in his advances towards his wife. I'm sure a whole paper can be written on this subject, a fascinating one at that.

This whole film is fascinating to me, one worth watching over and again. While it has more comedy than A SHOT IN THE DARK, overall I'd rate it a little lower for overall quality. Still, a comedy masterpiece, and I thank my parents for having had me watch this many times when I was growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment