Sunday, November 20, 2011

PERSEPOLIS (Satrapi and Paronnaud, Sony, 2007)

Every now and then I learn about a film which was released a few years before and It intrigues me for whatever reason. Then when I watch it, I don't understand how this amazing piece of work was not more universally recognized, or maybe more properly commercially viable. After seeing PERSEPOLIS (Marjane Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud, Sony, 2007), I have just such a feeling. How did this movie slide by me? It is one of the best films of the last five years yet I missed it? More so, I had never even heard of it until recently. I don't know whether to be more ashamed at myself for not knowing about it or for the viewing public as a whole for not making this a more well known film. I absolutely loved this film and here's why;

I love Satrapi's adaptation of her graphic novel and the choice of how to stylize the film. By using animation I feel Satrapi takes the edge of the tone of the film, softening it and making it more palatable to it's audience. The tone of the film is rather dark and cloistered and animation opens it up, allows it freedom for joyful moments. And the choice to present the film primarily in black and white allows for the starkness of the films narrative to be presented in a manner befitting it's subject matter. Symbolically it seems the Iranian regime that takes over is itself rather black and white, much like the film.

I really like the narrative Satrapi presents and how she conveys so many life lessons without forcing her hand with her audience. It would be rather easy to be heavy handed with such intent, but Satrapi employs a particularly deft touch here. At various moments we learn to be proud of who we are regardless of what others may think or say; we also learn that our heritage and country are proud markers of who we are not only collectively but individually. We live in a rather patriotic country, where inherent patriotism is seemingly part of our essence. This is good but it allows us to forget that other countries and people more than likely believe the same about themselves. But most importantly is the message of being true to yourself. At the end of the day, your job, your life, there is one person you are accountable to and that is yourself. Satrapi teaches these lessons to little Marji with style and grace, effortlessly and elegantly, and through Marji to us.

The final thing that impresses me is the depiction of Iran, the Iranian Revolution, the Iraq-Iran war and the installation and reaction to the rise of prominence of the new Islamic Regime in Iran. Here in the west, mainly due to a biased media, our perception of Iran and other Islamic countries is despicable. They are not blood thirsty war mongering people whose only desire is our death. They are people much like us, who want the freedoms and chances to live their lives the way they choose, the way they see fit. The Iranian Revolution is an event of historical import that has always fascinated me, from the second we had hostages taken through today. Yet my perception of the country and it's people has only evolved due to my interactions with many friends whose families hail from the region and country. To me this is sad as I am a highly educated person who needs this kind of interaction to open my eyes. It is no wonder that others carry prejudice and opinions that are uninformed and ignorant. I did, for many years.

In the end this is just a marvelous film, one that I recommend to everyone. It can be informative as well as instructive and at the same time funny and insightful. I love it and it is one of those films I will recommend to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment